Nýrsko lies about 18 km southwest of Klatovy
at the banks of the river the Úhlava. Nýrsko is a small rural town which has a large manufacturing industry.
It came into existence in the 13th century as a border town on the trading route between Bohemia and Bavaria.
The town has only a few historical buildings. One of them is the Baroque city hall from the year 1684. On the city hall is placed a memorial plaque in commemoration of the liberation in the 2nd World War by the Canadians. The fact that the western allies had liberated Nýrsko and its surroundings was not publicly mentioned during the communist regime.
Nýrsko is very suited as a starting point to the Šumava mountains. In the town are a campground and several hotels and bed & breakfasts. There are some pretty good restaurants that are also visited by the inhabitant of Nýrsko on a regular basis.
About 4 km south of Nýrsko lies, in the river the Úhlava, the Nýrsko dam. This dam which was built in 1969 with a height of 36 meters, has created a storage reservoir that is used for getting hydro electrics and for drink water storage. From the hills around the reservoir you can have beautiful views over the water.
Useful information See it on the map Campgrounds near Nýrsko
Tourist information:Informační a kulturní centrum města Nýrska
Komenského 877 340 22
tel:(+420)376 571 616