A beautiful city with royal appearance. Písek lies on the banks of the river the Otava. Already since the year 800 there was gold found in this river.
Nowadays the city accomodates a diversity of industries which produce a variety of products like food supplies, wood products, machines and tabacco.
The city was founded in the 13th century by Premysl Otakar II who started the building of a castle within the fortifications of the city.
Really worth a visit is the early Gothic Church of the Birth of the Virgin Mary with its 74 m. high tower. Despite the several reconstructions of the church, its frescos in the nave are very well kept through the years. The tin font and the Madonna panel on one of the alters are from the Renaissance period.
The city hall of Písek that lies at the same square as the church was build between 1737 and 1764 and is adorned with statues. In the courtyard are the remains of the in 1532 burned down castle. There is nowadays the city museum located. Around the market square are several grand houses. Also very beautiful is the 17th century Wenceslas Church.
One of the main attractions of the city is the stone bridge. This bridge is the oldest still existing stone bridge in the whole Czech Republic. The exact building date of the bridge is unknown but it is certain that it was constructed before the Charles bridge in Prague. With its decorations of 17th century statues of saints it resembles much to its Prague equelness but mainly because of the absence of the bridge towers the bridge looks much less grand. From the bridge you have a perfect view over the city.
Useful information See it on the map Campgrounds near Písek
Tourist information:Infocentrum Písek
Heydukova 97 397 01
tel:(+420) 382 213 592